Sunday 8 May 2011

Day 17 Wooramel to Hamlin Pool 110kms

I decided today to get an early start to avoid the flies. To do this I had to pack the car before the sun came up and then I could sit quietly in the car or the roadhouse away from the flies whilst waiting for the last lot of riders to leave and get at least 20 kms down the road. This was a mistake obviously as it led to a series of outbursts and words spoken that probably was not needed to be said.

I had sent Collis to wake Gayle (as requested) but she does take a long time getting out of her tent before she goes off for her morning shower. While I was packing the car, Collis was enjoying his cups of tea and chatting with the cyclists- all good; I don’t mind packing the car on my own as I know where I want
everything to go! The car was packed and the flies were just starting to appear when Gayle appeared from her tent, carrying her mattress & luggage (which I had forgotten about & wondered where the hell I was going to fit this as it was no small bundle), Richard made a quiet remark about his food box was packed away before he had finished with it (this rubbed a little) and when I turned around Gayle had just left her belongings next to the car & went for her shower!!! I was still fine & decided to dress Norm’s leg so I had to remove the “nest” in the back seat before I could get to the first aid kit under the seat. Dressing done and put the kit back where Collis likes it to be kept when he explodes at me as he was wanting to try & fit the tool box under the seat, but then said “Why you have to pack up so early, I don’t know. I don’t know what’s up with you this morning, there is no need for this rush!” I saw red and exploded in front of the whole crew & Richard and I could not stop but at least it was only aimed at Collis. I had had enough and everyone knew about it, so I had to storm off. When I returned Gayle had decided to travel with Anna today and Collis & I managed to get some quiet time to talk things out.

Passed a few lone riders today- a swiss couple & a pomm


The colours today were great


Salmon gums

We can appear quite daunting when we pull up at a stop- so many bikes.


Once I apologised to those that witnessed my outburst I was able to look people in the eye again. Gayle appeared to have a lovely time with Anna except she kept losing the stone out of her ring and Anna had to drive over the same ground looking for it. The riders were enjoying the day & Collis & I were taking our time with meals at roadhouses & chatting with tourists. What started off as a terrible day ended much better (and with less flies).





Stromatalites

Bit of a motley crew


Gayle enjoyed arriving in the first car to snatch one of the dongers at the caravan park. There were only a few available and some of the riders are renowned for wanting a donger if available so it was ensured that the usual were catered for. There was great excitement over the availability as 2 dongers had air conditioning & a fridge. This all fell in a heap when the manageress came back to inform us that she had made a mistake and all dongers were taken back.

Everyone then had to pitch their tents before the manageress came back to say we could have 2 of the dongers- too late!!


Pierre what are you up to now??

1st public phone box on the whole trip.


I had to cook tonight and the stove in the camp kitchen was very small & was not going to fit the pots I needed. Trish, the manageress, offered us the use of her commercial sized kitchen- fantastic. Gayle, Jacqui, Melanie & I had a lovely time getting dinner ready and Collis carted us back to the campsite on the back of the truck- a bit like meals on wheels. Dinner was great- even if I say so myself- Pesto pasta a la Kathy- thanks to Jacqui for her suggestion and Fiona for teaching me her recipe and Gayle, Jacqui & Melanie for their assistance. Rob had the leftovers for lunch the next day- nothing wasted when Rob’s around.

Peter taught Gayle, Melanie & I the card game 500- I used to play as a teenager and it all came back quite quickly. Good night had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment