Saturday 14 May 2011

Day 20 -Denham to Hamelin Pool 105 kms

 



I rode again today after a bit of a break. The riders all said I should try the hills and see how far I can go. Well I ride through the town turn left and there is this huge hill- Collis said to change into 1st gear to get up the hills but I didn’t have my glasses and put it in 3rd gear and it stopped. I had to walk it up the hill but that didn’t worry me as I was still getting the exercise but I turned around just as Carmen, Pat & Lorraine whizzed past me on their bikes- makes you feel so unfit watching them.  I cannot see myself ever being able to ride like these women even though 2 of them are older than me. Anyway, I got to the top of the hill and jumped back on. 


Without an odometer I decided to count the white reflective posts deciding 10 would equal 1 km- I had counted 5 kms before someone came past with an odometer and checked my mileage against theirs and I had actually done 18 kms- YES!!! Out of at least 30 hills I had to walk up two deciding it wasn’t worth me having a heart attack just to save face. ALL the riders passed me as if I was standing still but I kept plugging along until another hill and decided enough was enough & that Collis should soon be here. I waited 5 minutes before he appeared to announce that I had done 37 kms- if only I had done the other 3 kms as they were all down hill.




I was exhausted from those hills but have decided to look up a cycling club when I get home for the over 50's of course. How these riders do it day in & day out I don't know!!



Down hill from here- I should have kept going.



We all arrived safely back at Hamelin Pool in the early afternoon. Tonight we were cooking the chicken spaghetti dish but as there was quite awhile until dinner was required, I decided to have a little lie down (nanny nap) in the truck away from the flies. While I was resting Gayle had prepared the chicken & onions for dinner-very nice of her. We managed to get full use of the comercial kitchen again so Jacqui & I took the chicken & sauce & 5 packets of macaroni up there to cook. Mark actually bought us a beer each (with a little prompting) to drink whilst cooking. Once again dinner was a success with everyone really enjoying both the vegetarian & the chickens- Roger had 3 helpings & most everyone else came back for seconds.

The usual group headed off to bed straight after dinner (around 7 pm) and the other  group of late owls sat around chatting until the late hour of around 9.30 pm. Quiet night in camp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment